Malacañang extends condolences to family of Sulu sultan Kiram

Malacañang extends condolences to family of Sulu sultan Kiram

MANILA, Philippines — The Palace offered on Sunday its condolences to the family of Sultan Jamalul Kiram III, who led an armed effort to reclaim Sabah from Malaysia earlier this year.

“We offer our condolences to the bereaved family and to his loved ones,” said Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Abigail Valte, on

But the death of Kiram would not necessarily mean the end to the Philippine government’s claim to Sabah. Valte said that as of Sunday, the study on the claim ordered in March by President Aquino was “still ongoing.”

“The study is still ongoing and the question presupposes that the claim is dependent on one person, which it is not, so the study is still ongoing,” she replied when asked about the Philippine claim in light of Kiram’s death.

One Reply to “Malacañang extends condolences to family of Sulu sultan Kiram”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *