Wakil KeSultanan to the Kingdom of Thailand
Among the important officers in the international Royal Chancellery of the Royal House of Sulu are the Wakil KeSultanan or the Regional Representatives.
These distinguished gentlemen include the Hon. Tuan Edward Thiravej Ploysongsang, GCPS, who is a Grand Cordon of the Royal and Hashemite Order of the Pearl and our representative in Bangkok.
The Sultanate of Sulu’s Tuan Wakil KeSultanan to the Kingdom of Thailand was born in 1970 in Cincinnati, Ohio (USA) to a “Thachindian” family of Thai, Chinese and Indian origins. He is agnatically descended from the famous Neo-Confucian scholar Zhu Xi, who was posthumously created the Duke of Hui during the Song Dynasty and whose memorial tablet was placed in the Temple of Confucius.
His educational background include the University of Wisconsin-Madison (Bachelor of Science), Cornell University (Master of Regional Planning), Washington University in St. Louis (Juris Doctor), and the Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University (Executive Master of Business Administration). He holds licenses to practice law in New York State and before the US Court of International Trade, US Court of Federal Claims, and the US Supreme Court. He is currently Managing Partner of the Ployprathip International Law Office in Thailand.
The Hon. Tuan Ploysongsang is a Fellow of the Royal Asiatic Society of Great Britain and Ireland, Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (U.K. & Thailand), American Mensa Member, Member of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club and Polo Club, Member of The Siam Society Under Royal Patronage, Member of the Foreign Correspondents Club Thailand, Member of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada, Life Member of the American College of Heraldry, Life Member of the White Lion Society, and Honorary Member of the Thai Red Cross Society.
Tuan Edward is a passionate heraldist. He has registered his coat of arms with the South African Bureau of Heraldry in 2002 and with the Spanish Crónista de Armas de Castilla y León in 2005 among many other heraldic registrations. In 2017, he was granted armorial achievements by the College of Arms of the United Kingdom.
Our representative to Thailand has received the following honours and awards:
– Raja Muda Ploysongsang (Marquis de la Ploysongsang) Kraton Kupang – awarded by the Raja (King) of Kupang and Liurai (Ruler) of Sonbai Kecil, West Timor in Indonesia
– Hereditary Crown Knight of the Royal Order of the Omujwaara Kondo and Hereditary Knight of the Royal Order of the Engabu – awarded by the Omukama (King) of Bunyoro-Kitara in Uganda
– Honourable Companion of the Order of the Companion of Honour of Kupang – awarded by the Raja of Kupang
– Kentucky Colonel – awarded by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky (U.S.)
– Officer of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem (U.K.)
– Knight Commander of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia and the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ awarded by the Royal House of Georgia
– Knight of the Imperial Order of the Star of Honour of the Ethiopian Empire awarded by the Crown Council of the Royal House of Ethiopia
– Honorary Knight Grand Cross of Justice of the Noble Corporation of Knights of Fernando VI
– Humanity Silver Medal awarded by the Mongolian Red Cross
The Hon. Tuan Edward is married to the Hon. Sitti Anya Ploysongsang, CPS, who is also a member of the Royal Order of the Pearl of Sulu. The Hon. Sitti Anya was granted by His Majesty the rank of Companion in the Royal Order.
His Royal Majesty Ampun Sultan Hadji Muedzul-Lail Tan Kiram, The 35th Sultan of Sulu and North Borneo is sincerely thankful to the Royal Chancellery officers who greatly help the people of Sulu in the world stage.
Photo of the Hon. Tuan Edward Ploysongsang, GCPS, and the Hon. Sitti Anya Ploysongsang, CPS.